How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Tecumseh, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Snozelen Room: Our Snozelen Room is a sensory stimulation environment full of lights, smells, tactile surfaces and sounds for residents with dementia. Sessions are 15 to 20 minutes long with one resident and one staff. Sights, smells and sounds are geared to the resident’s personal history and it is very effective in calming agitated residents and creating positive responses.
- Music Therapy: A Registered Music Therapist comes to our home once a week to reminisce through music and song with residents. She plays her guitar and leads a sing- a-long with residents. Afterwards they talk about the songs and discuss their feelings and memories associated with the music.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Intergenerational Program: In our Intergenerational Program, the Grade 3 class from a nearby school comes to the home once a month to play games, sign songs read books and more with residents. Even the most reclusive residents enjoy being able to interact with them.
- Pet Therapy: Four volunteers bring in their dogs to visit residents once each week. The interaction with the animals is remarkably soothing and comforting to many of our residents.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Music Therapist
- Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist